Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mickey excercise

The scanner I'm using doesn't capture light strokes, so I went over some of the principle construction


This gave me an idea for a gag drawing:
I rushed it and felt was a bit flat, so I went back and applied some of what I learned from the exercise:
There's still some improvement to make, but I gotta go back to Packing and catch a plane!


Update:

Here is a snapshot I took in mid process, with detail that wasn't captured in the scan (the scanner in my parent's house isn't good for scanning drawings)


Scanned with my EPSON.


Update 2: Mickey from memory. Hands down, the most fun character to draw!

9 comments:

JohnK said...

you're not supposed to trace it...

Kelly Toon said...

Excellent!!!!

Amir Avni said...

John, Don't get "Friz Freleng" on me! ;)

These weren't traced, here's some of the ways in which I work: here and here

Nicolas Martinez said...

Very nice! :)

Mitch Leeuwe said...

Nice! Do you check youre scan before you ad the details? So you can see if you need to correct some things?

Im trying to do it without scanning inbetween, but Im getting allot of troubles... So im thinking about checking the construction before adding details.

RuinedJoke68 said...

Hey, Amir!!

Great work, I wish I could draw as well as you. Even your construction practice drawings are beautiful.

Just wondering, what model EPSON scanner do you use? I have been looking into a new one (mine does terrible with blue col-erase).

Amir Avni said...

Hi Folks

Sorry it took a while to comment:

Mitch- yes, I compare to the original from the very beginning.

Thunderrobot-

it's Epson Stylus CX4200

Omar KW Hung said...

I read your story on Globeandmail today and found your blog from there too. Congratulations to you for being mentored by a great generous person. And people, like me will believe you'll be another successful story some day. "With great power, comes great responsibility." ;p
Omar

Unknown said...

Hey, Amir!

Love the Mickey projector idea! Disney should seriously think about making one of those.

The Mickey drawings were really good. Much better than if I tried. It's not that I can't, it's just that even though Mickey is a simple-looking character, it's that simplicity that makes him tough to draw correctly.

Still, good job.

Your pal,
Justin